Resident Resources

  • For information about COVID-19, contact the Minnesota Department of Health COVID-19 Hotline at 651-201-3920 or visit www.health.state.mn.us/
  • Aeon team members can help. Text or call and leave a message at 612-326-3855, or send an email to myhome@aeon.org
  • For more help finding resources:

  • For more language translations, please call 612-670-7115
  • Para tener acceso a la traducción en otros idiomas, por favor contactar 612-670-7115
  • Haddii aad u baahan tahay turjumaad, fadlan soo garaac 612-670-7115
  • Hiikaa afaanota adda addaaf, maaloo 612-670-7115 quunnama’a
  • Muaj ntau hom lus xav muab txhais, thov hu   612-670-7115
  • Для переводов на другие языки, звоните на 612-670-7115
  • अधिक भाषा अनुवाद के लिए, कृपया कॉल करें 612-670-7115
A. Ramsey & Washington County Emergency assistance

Who qualifies?

Emergency Assistance (EA) helps adults with children and pregnant women. Emergency General Assistance (EGA) helps adults without children.

What is covered?

EA/EGA assists with past due rent/mortgages, damage deposits or utilities. If you need help with utility bills, apply first for energy assistance through Community Action Partnership of Ramsey & Washington Counties. Find more information and an application on their website.

EA and EGA programs have suspended the rule about how often assistance may be obtained (usually only once in a 12-month period). You can apply for emergency assistance even if you have already received help within the past 12 months.

Both emergency programs have increased the maximum amount which can be paid. 

What do I do?

If you are receiving public assistance (SNAP, healthcare, or cash assistance through Ramsey County), call 651-266-4444 for an application. There is a short application for clients with active cases.

If you are not receiving public assistance, you can apply for EA/EGA online at applymn.dhs.mn.gov. For questions about eligibility or application status, call the EA/EGA hotline at 651-266-4884

B. VEAP – Richfield, Edina, Bloomington, part of south Minneapolis (West of 50th Street and East of Cedar Ave)

What is covered?

The following services are offered by VEAP:

  • Emergency gas or bus card to get to work or look for work
  • Access to VEAP drive-up food pantry 2x a month
  • Emergency rent and deposit help
  • Counseling on benefit changes, resources that are not through the government, troubleshooting/aiding in conversations with landlords, legal referrals when needed, counseling on the eviction moratorium and what it means for rent payments, etc.
  • VEAP Mobile Food Pantry – Go to veap.org/events/ to see all of their Mobile Food Pantry dates for 2022 thru 2024.

What do I do?

Visit https://veap.org/get-help/ or call 952-888-9615. For more information on applying for rent assistance, go to veap.org/rent-assistance/.

C. Anoka county crisis assistance

Who qualifies?

Anoka county residents in a non-housing crisis can receive emergency assistance. Funds can be used for prescriptions, medical equipment, etc.

What do I do?

You can do one of the following to apply for this aid:

  • Fill out the application online available here then email it to accap@accap.org
  • OR print it out and mail it to 1201 89th Ave NE, Suite 345, Blaine, MN 55434.

Staff will review your application and call you within 10 business days to let you know if you are approved. Verification/proof of income will be requested. Funds are limited.


What do I do?

Report a reduction in income to have your rent reduced. Choose one of the following options below to make your report:

  • Minneapolis Public Housing Authority: online portal
  • Metro HRA: Please contact your HRA coordinator via AssistanceConnect or email your coordinator with income change requests. The lottery for Metro HRA rental aid was completed on July 5 and the waitlist is currently full.
  • St. Paul PHA: A household must report a change in their income in writing to their PHA worker, via email/fax/mail. You must provide any documentation they may need to verify the change.
  • For other public housing authorities, check their website to see what rental assistance they may offer.

E. Applying for Unemployment

Who qualifies?

Any documented US worker who becomes unemployed or has their hours greatly reduced through no fault of their own.

What do I need?

You will need to provide the following:

  • Social security number
  • Driver’s license or other state ID number
  • 18 months of work history, including employer address and phone number, dates of employment, pay rate, and reason you no longer work there
  • Bank account and routing numbers if you want direct deposit
  • Work authorization document if you are not a US citizen
  • While you receive benefits, you must provide proof that you are actively seeking employment

What do I do?

Visit www.uimn.org and do the following:

  • Click on “applicant”
  • Click on “apply for benefits.” The last number of your social security number decides what day you can apply.

If you cannot apply online, you can also call 651-296-3644.

If you receive a housing subsidy, contact your site manager for a recertification. This will help with your rent payments.

F. Minnesota energy & Weatherization assistance programs

Who qualifies?

Renters or homeowners who meet the following criteria can qualify:

  • For households with income at or below 50 percent of the state median income
  • Money received is based on energy cost, household size, and income

What is covered?

  • Grants range from $200 to $1,400, based on household size, income, and fuel cost.
  • The average grant is about $1,000.
  • In addition to the initial grant, additional crisis funds are available to:
    • Help pay a past due bill or get an emergency fuel delivery.
    • Help homeowners get their broken furnace repaired or replaced.

What do I do?

Households should contact their local EAP service provider to apply for EAP.

If you don’t know who your provider is, click here.

You can also call 1-800-657-3710 & enter your zip code. This will get you connected with your service provider if you cannot access the Internet.

Find general EAP information here. Learn more about the joint weatherization program here.

G. Apply for benefits

Go to mnbenefits.mn.gov to apply for food assistance, emergency assistance, cash assistance, child care assistance or housing support.

H. Emergency Assistance

Who qualifies?

Anyone in their specific county who needs short-term help paying for rent, food, or childcare.

What do I do?

You can apply online at www.applymn.dhs.mn.gov.

Or you can apply via phone by calling your specific county:

  • Anoka County: 763-422-7200
  • Carver County: 952-361-1600
  • Dakota County: 651-554-5611
  • Hennepin County: 612-596-1300
  • Ramsey County: 651-266-4884
  • Scott County: 952-496-8686
  • Washington County: 651-430-6459

Handbook of the Streets

This resource for people experiencing homelessness is available free to people in need.

  • For more language translations, please call 612-670-7115
  • Para tener acceso a la traducción en otros idiomas, por favor contactar 612-670-7115
  • Haddii aad u baahan tahay turjumaad, fadlan soo garaac 612-670-7115
  • Hiikaa afaanota adda addaaf, maaloo 612-670-7115 quunnama’a
  • Muaj ntau hom lus xav muab txhais, thov hu   612-670-7115
  • Для переводов на другие языки, звоните на 612-670-7115
  • अधिक भाषा अनुवाद के लिए, कृपया कॉल करें 612-670-7115
a. Find a food shelf near you

What do I do?

Visit hungersolutions.org/find-help

  • Enter your zip code.
  • You may also choose a day of the week.
  • Food shelves in your area will be listed with contact information. Contact them directly.

If you cannot access the internet, you can call Hunger Solutions at 651-486-9860.

b. Get food from every meal

Who qualifies?

Individuals, children and families can receive a 4-5 pound meal bag with non-perishable food items. There are no qualification requirements, and no application is required.

What do I do?

Go here for a map with pick-up locations and hours.

C. apply for Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP)

Who qualifies?

Minnesota residents 60 years and older. Qualification is determined by household size and gross income.

What will I receive?

Canned fruits, vegetables, juices, dry and shelf-stable milk, American cheese, canned meat, peanut butter or dried beans, cereal, rice or pasta.

What do I do?

To register you need:

  • Proof of address
  • Current gross monthly household income
  • Picture ID

Call 651-484-8241 or toll-free at 800-365-0270 to register or learn more.

A monthly box of food can be picked up at the Second Harvest Heartland Food Bank located at the following address: 7101 Winnetka Ave N, Brooklyn Park, MN 55428
Learn more about Second Harvest’s connection with CSFP here.

D. Apply for food benefits (snap)

What do I do?

Call the hotline at 651-431-4050 if you live in the Twin Cities metro area. Or call 1-800-657-3698 if you live outside the metro area. You can also visit their webpage to learn more about eligibility and apply.

What do I need to know?

Participants in Minnesota’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) are now able to use their benefits to purchase food online through approved retailers.

So far, these retailers include Amazon and Walmart. Customers do not need a credit card or debit card on file to place orders with a SNAP EBT card. A different payment method (in addition to an EBT card) will be required to pay for items not eligible for SNAP purchasing or to pay for any shipping fees and taxes.

SNAP recipients who are confined to their homes during this crisis should:

The authorized representative will then receive an EBT card in the mail. 

E. Additional Food PRoviders

What do I need to know?

The following are some more free or low-cost food providers:

  • Loaves and Fishes: Takeout meals only https://www.loavesandfishesmn.org/dining-sites/
  • Meals on Wheels: For seniors and people living with disabilities. SNAP benefits can also be used toward the cost of Meals on Wheels. https://meals-on-wheels.com/about/faqs/
  • Free Meals For Kids: Go to freemealsforkidsmn.org to download a mobile app that shows which schools are offering free meals in your area.
  • Food Resources Guide: Click here to access a complete guide of food service hotlines and services.
  • VEAP Mobile Food Pantry: Go to veap.org/events/ to see all of their Mobile Food Pantry dates for 2020 thru 2021.
  • Farmers Markets: Minneapolis farmers markets provide local, low-cost food throughout the year. Most of their 20+ locations accept SNAP-EBT. SNAP customers can also get up to $10 in Market Bucks each time they visit the market. Learn more about Minneapolis farmer’s markets here. While most markets operate during the summer, there are markets you can visit in the winter. See a list of winter locations at farmersmarketsofmpls.org/winter-markets.
  • Fare for All: Save up to 40% on groceries by shopping with Fare for All, a program by The Food Group. They provide low-cost food throughout the metro area and Greater Minnesota. Drive-through sales are open to everyone, even if you don’t have vehicle. Learn more and check out their monthly sale locations at here.
  • Northpoint Health and Wellness: This wellness center has a community food shelf that you can visit once per month. You can also request items like baby food and diapers. They host a free produce market on the 2nd and 4th Friday of every month during the summer. Click here to learn more.
F. CEAP (Community Emergency Assistance Program)

Who qualifies?

This food program is for low-income families and individuals, senior citizens, and adults with disabilities.

What do I do?

  • To visit the food shelf, you must select a time slot between 9 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, or Friday from 9 a.m. to noon.
  • Or call 763-566-9600 to make a food shelf appointment

What do I need to know?

  • A household of four will receive 90lbs of fresh produce, protein, and shelf-stable foods
  • During your appointment you will meet with a Family Services representative who will ask a few basic questions and explain CEAP services to you.
  • More information – Other services listed on this webpage include CEAP Meals on Wheels, Youth Food Shelf, and more.

Handbook of the Streets

This resource for people experiencing homelessness is available free to people in need.

  • For more language translations, please call 612-670-7115
  • Para tener acceso a la traducción en otros idiomas, por favor contactar 612-670-7115
  • Haddii aad u baahan tahay turjumaad, fadlan soo garaac 612-670-7115
  • Hiikaa afaanota adda addaaf, maaloo 612-670-7115 quunnama’a
  • Muaj ntau hom lus xav muab txhais, thov hu   612-670-7115
  • Для переводов на другие языки, звоните на 612-670-7115
  • अधिक भाषा अनुवाद के लिए, कृपया कॉल करें 612-670-7115
A. Childcare

What do I need to know?

Check out this website for a list of child-care assistance resources.

Call the Child Care Aware parent line at 1-888-291-9811 to be directed to available licensed child-care providers. Or use the map provided here.

Financial Assistance: Families can call 1-888-291-9811 for financial aid to afford child-care.

b. Health insurance

Open enrollment is an annual opportunity to enroll in private health insurance or renew or make changes to a current private plan. Open enrollment each year typically closes in January, but you may be able to enroll now if you qualify for one of the following:

  • Individuals who have experienced a major life event in the past 60 days, such as having a baby or adopting a child, getting married, turning 26 or losing your job may qualify for a special enrollment period. Find more information on Special Enrollment Periods here.
  • Year-round enrollment: If you qualify for Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare, or are a member of a federally recognized American Indian tribe, you can enroll any time of the year.

Who qualifies during the general enrollment period?

Any US citizen or documented resident 21 years or older can get insurance through Healthcare.gov marketplace. If you are 18 years or older and live with a parent or guardian, you can stay on you family’s health insurance. This coverage ends when you turn 26.

What do I do?

Complete the following steps:

  • Create an account and complete an online application.
  • If you are eligible for a qualified health plan (QHP) you’ll see an “Enroll in Plans” button: continue with the steps 2-5 below. If you are eligible for Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare, you will not need to continue with the following steps and choose a plan. Your plan options will be mailed to you by the Minnesota Department of Human Services in the following weeks.
  • Click the “Confirm Event” button and then select “COVID-19 SEP” as your qualifying life event.
  • Click the “Shop for Plans” button to shop and select a plan.
  • Confirm your plan selection. Read the terms and conditions and enter your signature. Click the “Sign and Enroll” button. See our guide for enrolling and signing.
  • A confirmation screen will display once you have enrolled. Click “Go to Dashboard” to see your enrollment status.
  • If you need assistance or cannot access a computer, call 651-539-2099.

What else should I know?

Portico HealthNet also helps people in Minnesota enroll, maintain, and change healthcare coverage and insurance.

If you have insurance, many fees (copays etc.) are waived for illnesses related to Coronavirus. Contact your insurance provider for more information. Click here to view a list of statewide healthcare resources.

Learn what to do if you are sick and find a testing location in your community.

C. Mental Healthcare THrough NAMI

Who qualifies?

NAMI can help anybody who needs mental healthcare at this time.

What do I do?

Click here for a list of crisis hotlines and other mental health services available in Minnesota.

D. COVID Cares free telephone support

What do I need to know?

The COVID Cares Support Service is a free telephone support service staffed by volunteer licensed mental health and substance use disorder personnel. Volunteers are available for 20-minute support calls to listen, share resources, and talk with all Minnesotans experiencing stress.

What do I do?

Call 833-437-3466. Their phone lines are available 7 days a week, from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.

E. Legal Help for tenants through home line

Who qualifies?

HOME Line’s legal services and hotline are available for any Minnesota renter. If you have questions about your rights as a Minnesota renter, HOME Line can help. 

What do I need to know?

HOME Line covers a wide range of issues with tenants. These issues include repairs, evictions, invasion of privacy, lease-breaking, and more. They provide free and low-cost legal, organizing, education, and advocacy services so that tenants throughout Minnesota can solve their own rental housing problems. HOME Line also provides a number of free form letters to help tenants communicate and their rental housing issues. The forms serve as helpful communication tools, not legal advice.

What do I do?

English speakers can contact the tenant hotline by calling 612-728-5767. If you are from the Greater Minnesota area, call 866-866-3546. If you’d prefer to email your question to a HOME Line housing attorney, click here. There is a brief intake process for both the email and the phone call. Their hotline is available in multiple languages. See the list below for numbers to call based on your language preference.

  • For Spanish, call 612-255-8870
  • For Somali, call 612-255-8860
  • For Hmong, call 612-255-7104

What else do I need to know?

If you’re looking for more assistance, check out LawHelpMN.org and the Hennepin Tenant Resource Center.

LawHelpMN.org provides information on a variety of legal issues, including housing. Their webpage offers fact sheets and resources on evictions, housing discrimination, reasonable accommodations, and much more.

The Hennepin Tenant Resource Center supports Hennepin County residents who are at risk of eviction or homelessness. The Tenant Resource Center collaborates with community partners to offer a variety of supportive services. Learn more by calling their hotline at (612) 767-9737 or send an email to Housing.Assistance.triage@hennepin.us. You can expect a response within 24 hours.

F. Hennepin County Human Services

What do I need to know?

Visit the Hennepin County Human Services website or call 612-348-4111 for assistance. They offer health care assistance, emergency financial programs, food, child-care assistance, shelter and more.

G. Food delivery from Metro MObility or Transit LInk

Who qualifies?

Use this program if you are at high risk to the coronavirus or otherwise unable to pick up your own food. This service is available for certified Metro Mobility customers and existing Transit Link customers. Stores with online shopping and local pick up options may also have this service available for you to use. Delivery is free.

What do I do?

Review the following steps:

  • Order groceries and tell the store that Metro Mobility or Transit Link is picking up. There is a four-bag limit.
  • Book a ride as you would for yourself. Provide your order number as proof of purchase for pick up.
  • Ride booking options include:
  • Drivers will verify your photo ID at drop off.
  • Additional info can be found at the Metropolitan Council webpage: Transit Link Grocery Delivery
H. discounted or free internet

Who qualifies?

You may qualify for discounted internet through Xfinity/Comcast’s Internet Essentials if:

  • You are eligible for public assistance programs such as the National School Lunch Program, Housing Assistance, Medicaid, SNAP, SSI and others.
  • You live in an area where Comcast Internet service is available.
  • You are not an existing Xfinity Internet customer and have not subscribed to Comcast Internet within the last 90 days.
  • You have no outstanding debt to Comcast that is less than one year old. Households with outstanding debt more than one year old may still be eligible.

Comcast is also offering free internet through the Affordable Connectivity Program for eligible households. Use the application link below to apply for both programs.

What is covered?

Internet Essentials includes the following:

  • Two free months of internet service if you apply and are approved by June 30, 2022. After promotion , regular rates apply.

What do I do?

Apply online here.

I. SPectrum INternet assistance

Who qualifies?

This offer is not available to current internet subscribers. To qualify for this program, one or more members of your household must currently receive assistance under one of the following programs:

  • National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
  • Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) of the NSLP
  • Supplemental Security Income (For Applicants 65+ Years of Age)

What do I need to know?

The Spectrum Internet Assist program provides reliable, high-speed internet access at an affordable price for those who qualify.

Eligible low-income households can receive discounted 30 Mbps high-speed internet, along with Security Suite and an internet modem, at no additional charge.

Spectrum Internet Assist requires no contracts. As always, there are no data caps or hidden fees.

What do I do?

Complete the online application form here.

J. More options for low-cost internet services and computers

What do I need to know?

  • To locate low-cost computers and Internet services in your area, visit everyoneon.org/find-offers:
    • Enter your zip code and click the “find” button
    • Fill out the information that shows up below the “find” button to see if you qualify. Information will show on the same page.
  • For families with students who need computers for distance learning:  https://mnafterschool.org/chromebooks
  • Free Geek Twin Cities is offering free or discounted computers and other related technology. Click here to learn more.
  • PCs for People provides affordable computers and low-cost mobile internet for low-income individuals. Learn more and see if you qualify at www.pcsforpeople.org/get-technology/.
  • USI Wireless has made 117 public hotspots freely available to the public. These hotspots will show up as “City of Minneapolis Public Wifi” or “USI Wireless” when attempting to connect to a network on a computer or phone. No account or credit card is needed to connect, and one must be within 50 feet of the hotspot.
  • InMyArea.com includes a detailed guide of low-cost internet and technology programs. The guide can also help you find low-cost phones, computers, and tablets. These programs and discounts are available to families with low or fixed incomes. Click here to visit their resource guide.

K. Metro transit services and regulations

What do I need to know?

  • Metro Mobility provides free door-to-door public transportation for riders who are unable to use fixed-route buses due to a disability or health condition. Learn more about the serve on the Metro Mobility website.
  • Face coverings are required while riding buses/trains regardless of vaccination status. Exemptions include children under age 2, and those who can not safely wear a mask due to a disability.
  • Metro Transit offers a discount to low-income individuals. The Transit Assistance Program can reduce your fare to just $1 with their Go-To Card. Learn more about this offer and see if you’re eligible to apply: www.metrotransit.org/tap-riders.
L. face masks

What do I need to know?

The statewide mask mandate was lifted on May 14, 2021. However, cities can still implement local mask mandates. Check your local news to see if a city-wide mask mandate is still in effect. Unvaccinated people are highly encouraged to wear masks at indoor businesses and public indoor spaces. Check out the following information to learn about face masks options.

M. Senior Linkage Line

What do I need to know?

This is a free service that connects older Minnesotans and their families with help they need.

  • Call the Senior LinkAge Line at 1-800-333-2433 if you need help finding alternative services, or need support navigating medical, housing, or administrative questions.
  • Call Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

N. Domestic violence Resources

What do I need to know?

  • OutFront Minnesota has trained domestic abuse staff who can help you file for protective orders, provide supportive counseling regarding your situation, referrals to domestic violence shelters and other safe places in the community. You can call 612-822-0127.
  • Minnesota Day One Crisis Hotline connects individuals seeking safety and resources to service agencies statewide via phone, text or chat message. You can call 866-223-1111.
  • The Domestic Abuse Project is continuing to offer advocacy, case management, and therapeutic programming for both adults and children. This service is offered through phone, video, and email connection. Call 612-874-7063 for more information.

O. Minnesota COVID Exposure app

What do I need to know?

  • The Minnesota Department of Health has released a free app to notify you of exposure to COVID-19. The app, COVIDaware MN, is available for free at the App Store or Google Play Store.
  • The free COVIDaware MN app notifies you if you have been near someone who tests positive for COVID-19. The app will also notify people you have been near if you have a positive COVID-19 test. Your privacy is always protected. No information that will identify you will ever leave your phone. Go to www.covidawaremn.com to learn more.

P. Minnesota COVID-19 Vaccine connector

What do I need to know?

The Minnesota COVID-19 Vaccine Connector is a tool that helps Minnesotans find out when, where, and how to get a COVID-19 vaccine. After you fill out a simple form, the Vaccine Connector will:

  1. Alert you when you are eligible to receive a vaccine.
  2. Connect you to resources to schedule a vaccine appointment.
  3. Notify you if there are vaccine opportunities in your area.

This tool is for all Minnesotans who have not yet been vaccinated. Whether you are eligible for a vaccine now or later – the Vaccine Connector will notify you when you it’s your turn for a shot.

Get connected by going to www.vaccineconnector.mn.gov. If you have questions or need help filling out the form, please call the Minnesota COVID-19 Vaccine Connector Hotline at 833-431-2053.

Q. Bridge for youth – youth services network

What do I need to know?

Bridge for Youth is a Minneapolis non-profit that provides runaway and homeless youth with safe shelter. They also assist in resolving family conflicts while seeking to reunify families whenever possible. They offer a variety of emergency and supportive programs across the Twin Cities. See a list of their services below:

  • Emergency Counseling – If you need help sorting through a challenging situation or just need someone to talk to, The Bridge is here to help. All conversations are confidential. For immediate help text (612)400-SAFE or call (612)377-8800.
  • Emergency Youth Shelter – The Resilience House is open 24/7/365 for youth ages 10-17. This program provides temporary shelter, meals, access to healthcare, case management, and support for youth. They also work to reunify families whenever it is safe and possible. See bed availability at https://ysnmn.org/.
  • Emergency Shelter for Unaccompanied Youth with Children – Gloria’s Place is the only emergency shelter in the state of Minnesota specifically for unaccompanied, homeless parenting youth and their children. Gloria’s Place provides emergency shelter, food and clothing for up to six homeless unaccompanied youth (ages 15-17), and their children (ages 0-3) as well as much-needed supportive, wraparound services. See bed availability at https://ysnmn.org/.
  • Young Adult Supportive Housing – Rita’s House is an intentional living community, providing affordable rental housing and teaching independent living skills to twelve youth ages 18-21. For more information email ritashouse@bridgeforyouth.org.
  • Supportive Housing for Pregnant or Parenting Teens – Marlene’s Place is the first and only site-based transitional housing and case management program in Hennepin County for homeless, pregnant/parenting teens (ages 16-20) and their children (ages 0-3). For more information email marlenesplace@bridgeforyouth.org.
  • Youth Services Network – Bridge for Youth created the Youth Services Network to connect youth to beds, outreach workers, drop-in centers, and more. This website is also available as a free app in the Google Play and Apple App Store. Look for the app with the acronym YSNMN. Visit the YSN website for more info: ysnmn.org

Learn more about Bridge for Youth at their website https://bridgeforyouth.org/. For general questions, call the main office at 612-230-6601.

R. Additional Resource Directories

What do I need to know?

The following is a list of websites that can help you get in touch with local support services and resources:

  • Waypoint – Hennepin County has created Waypoint, a directory to connect you to local support services. This is a mobile-friendly website that anyone can access. You can find information on shelter, emergency health services, crisis hotlines, and more. Visit the Waypoint website at https://gis.hennepin.us/waypoint.
  • Bridge to Benefits – Applying for support programs can be hard. That’s why the Children’s Defense Fund of Minnesota created Bridge to Benefits. Their screening tool can tell if you’re potentially eligible for programs and tax credits. It’s easy, private and free. Their website also has simplified information on state and federal assistance programs, resource directories, and more. Click here to visit their website.
  • Twin Cities Mutual Aid Project (TCMAP) – The TCMAP website lists a wide range of resources that are available across the metro area. You can use their aid map to find organizations that are accepting or distributing donations. Their website also has information on local support services and emergency shelters. Check out their website here.

S. Minnesota Afterschool advance

Who qualifies?

To be eligible, your household income for 2021 and 2022 must be $33,500 or less. Some temporary exceptions are being made for families that apply for low-cost Chromebooks. You must also have a child in grades K-12 who attends public or private school or is homeschooled.

What do I need to know?

Minnesota Afterschool Advance (MAA) can help you pay for your child’s afterschool programs. MAA pays 75% of the eligible education expenses for activities, up to $1,000 per child in grades K-12. They utilize the Minnesota K-12 Education Tax Credit to help cover the cost of your child’s afterschool activities. Learn more on their website at mnafterschool.org.

What do I do?

  • Complete the online application for each participating child.
    • MAA will then review your eligibility.
  • If you are eligible, MAA will invite you to select the afterschool programs you want to participate in. Once you pay 25% of the price of each activity, MAA will add its 75% to the child’s account. To fully enroll in the program, you must follow these expectations:
    • Commit to filing a Minnesota income tax return for the year of enrollment in MAA
    • Pay 25% of the cost for each activity that your child enrolls in.
    • Ensure that your child fully uses the services they registered for.
    • Replay MAA for the amount loaned to you via your tax refund. You can do this by claiming the Minnesota K-12 Education Tax Credit on your yearly taxes.

T. Career training with twin cities rise

Who qualifies?

To be eligible, you must live in the 7 county metro area and meet the following guidelines:

  • Be able to work legally in the U.S. 
  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Have a personal earned income of no more than $25,000 in the previous year
  • Demonstrate English fluency and basic literacy
  • Have no criminal sexual conduct crime or arson charges

What do I need to know?

Twin Cities RISE offers a free 8-week career training course for low-income individuals seeking employment. This program will give you the tools to sharpen your skills and start a new career. You’ll also be connected with a career coach during your training. They will work with you to create a career plan and connect you to meaningful employment. A new session starts every month and participants are accepted throughout the year. Classes are held Monday thru Thursday in the morning or afternoon.

What do I do?

Click here to check your eligibility to apply. To learn more about this program and other opportunities at Twin Cities RISE, visit www.twincitiesrise.org/participants.

Handbook of the Streets

This resource for people experiencing homelessness is available free to people in need.

Will my insurance cover testing and treatment for COVID-19?

Yes. Health insurance plans will cover testing and treatment for medically necessary services related to COVID-19. To help with costs, most health insurance companies have waived copays, coinsurance, and deductibles associated with this care. Check with your insurance company for further details.

Is testing free?

The CARES Act requires COVID-19 testing to be covered without any cost-sharing. It is important to know that this applies to the test only, office visits are not covered through the CARES Act. There may be charges associated with the visit to obtain the testing, but most health insurance companies in Minnesota have waived copays, coinsurance, and deductibles associated with these charges. Check with your insurance company for further details.

What should you do if you don’t have health insurance?

A new federal law makes coronavirus testing free for patients without insurance, but it does not cover treatment related to the virus. Community health clinics are available to help address some symptoms, but many of them still don’t have the ability to test patients.

You can find different coverage options through Minnesota’s health insurance marketplace. Please contact MNsure or the Minnesota Department of Human Services to learn more about coverage options.